Modified atmosphere packaging for food products
Solidus Solutions’ new Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) solution combines extended shelf life with an attractive presentation and sustainable use of fibre-based materials.
About the Modified Atmosphere Packaging
Our new Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) tray solution offers a solid board alternative to wholesalers and retailers to replace plastic trays. MAP (Modified Atmosphere Packaging) is a long established method to extend the shelf life of fresh food like fresh or processed meat, fish, fruit or salads. The technology substitutes the air inside a package with a protective gas mix.
The Solidus Solutions MAP tray uses an FSC® certified barrier-lined solid board made from renewable fibres. Therefore, it reduces 80% of the plastic content versus incumbent plastic solutions. The solid board trays feature a transparent barrier film to seal the tray. After taking out the product, the layer is easily removed from the solid board to allow for separate disposal and recycling. The development of this food tray solution supports our company’s sustainability commitment to expand and improve recyclable packaging solutions for our customers while reducing the impact on the environment.
- MAP (Modified Atmospheric Packaging) is a long established method to extend the shelf life of fresh food. The technology substitutes the air inside a package with a protective gas mix.
- The Solidus Solutions MAP uses an FSC®certified solid board made from renewable fibres. It reduces 80% of the plastic content vs incumbent plastic solutions.
- The solid board trays feature a transparent barrier film to seal the tray. After taking out the product, the layer is easily removed from the solid board to allow for separate disposal.
- The trays are easily printable which is not possible with the plastic products in the market today.
Benefits of Our Modified Atmosphere Packaging
We recognize that the transition to fibre-based packaging is of importance for many of our existing and potential customers. It is clear to us that our packaging solutions need to meet the functionality, presentation of the existing MAP tray designs. We therefore made sure that the Solidus MAP trays can be produced on the same packaging machines that today produce the plastic packaging products. And thus, lowering the hurdle for packers and brand-owners to transfer to our fibre-based packaging solution.
Besides the operational requirements we meet with our solid board alternative, we even offer higher cardboard grammage possibilities in regards to other fibre-based MAP producers. By performing this, we make sure our liners and boards offers solutions for an extensive range of (heavier) products including fresh or processed meat, ready-made products, cheese, frozen foods, fish and fruit. Due to our higher board grammages, our MAP solutions match the shelf life afforded by traditional plastic MAP trays.
Our MAP trays VS the incumbent plastic MAP trays
- Reduction of at least 80% of plastic materials, creating a significantly lower environmental footprint
- Matches the shelf life afforded by existing plastic MAP trays
- The Solidus MAP can be produced on the same packaging machines that today produce the plastic packaging products, lowering the hurdle to transition for packers / brand-owners
Our MAP trays VS other fibre-based MAP trays
- Solid feel due to higher solid board grammage possibilities
- Higher quality print options for an attractive presentation
- Flawless sealing perimeter quality of the lid film
Get a Quote Today
Are you interested in our sustainable MAP trays for fresh foods?